The Importance Of Design Thinking

November 05, 2017

Ever since I started teaching, I have wanted to add some type of “Maker Space” into my classroom. This year, I finally figured out a way to make it happen! I thought it would be helpful to share what I have learned from incorporating this type of area into my classroom and lessons.




1. Organization and easy access are key. First, I put my "Maker Space" in a cabinet. It was too hard for my students to get to the materials and for me to keep up organizing them, etc. Having "user friendly" organization also allows your students to take ownership of the entire space. 






2. There are certain simple skills that are helpful to teach to young students (in addition to the exploration time that they have with the materials). 

.design thinking.png

3. Design thinking lessons are vital to adding purpose to lessons that incorporate a "Maker Space."

51RCpaq2YVL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

4. These types of designing lessons can be incorporated with any subject area!

Below are some examples of lessons my students have done.

  • Reading: My students read "The Most Magnificent Thing" and then had to come up with a problem in their life to solve, just like the main character did. Then they designed something to solve the problem.
  • Math: When learning about Even & Odd, my students designed and create their own "Even Monster" and "Odd Monster" using items and technology available to them. 
  • Science & Social Studies: When learning about Properties of Solids & Fire Safety, my students thought about the properties of different solids and used those properties to make the tallest ladder they could. 

You can also find some other makerspace activities we love to do here.

Hopefully this helps you in your journey to incorporate new and exciting ways to add purpose to what your students are learning! 

Oh, and if you try out a new makerspace activity in your classroom, I recommend taking this course so that you can earn Professional Development credit for trying out the lesson!

Happy Teaching!



0 comments